Carrot Cake Breakfast Muffins 🥕
gluten-free, vegan, refined sugar-free, oil-free
Did you do any meal prep over the weekend?
I don’t usually make new year’s resolutions, but I do want to try getting back to meal prepping this month. I’m hoping to prevent busy mornings when I just throw a couple protein bars and a banana in my lunch bag 😅. At least this week I can throw in a couple of these muffins instead!
Anyway, let’s get to the muffins. I really like how they came out and they make the perfect on-the-go breakfast or snack. They’re best warmed up and are great topped with a bit of nut butter or jam or—for a more indulgent treat—some vegan cream cheese or butter.
Please let me know if you try them out! It makes my day when I get pictures of what you made using my recipes. 🥰
🥕 Carrot Cake Breakfast Muffins
– 1 Tbsp (7g) flax meal
– 2 1/2 Tbsp (38ml) water
– 1 1/2 cups (160g) oat flour (blend oats to make flour)
– 1 tsp (4g) baking powder
– 1 tsp (3g) cinnamon
– 1/2 tsp (1g) ground ginger
– 1/8 tsp salt
– 1/2 cup (110g) applesauce
– 1/4 cup (60g) drippy nut butter (I used lastofoods almond)
– 1/4 cup (60ml) maple syrup
– 1/4 cup (60ml) nondairy milk
– 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract
– 1 medium carrot, finely grated (1/3 cup (64g), packed) imperfectfoods
– 1/4 cup (40g) chopped walnuts
– 1/4 cup (40g) raisins (I used golden traderjoes)
1. Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Grease or line 8 muffin cups.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together flax meal and water. Set aside to thicken.
3. In a medium bowl, stir together oat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and salt.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together the applesauce, nut butter, maple syrup, nondairy milk, and vanilla until well combined.
5. Add the dry ingredients into the wet, and stir to combine.
6. Fold in the grated carrot, walnuts, and raisins.
7. Place 1/3 cup of batter into each of the 8 prepared muffin cup.
8. Bake 17-20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
9. Let cool the muffins cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before storage.
10. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days, or the freezer for longer storage.