Lemon Poppyseed Muffins 🍋
I’m on a muffin kick. (I also ordered some chickpea flour to make savory muffins soon 😉).
The lemon tree in my backyard is packed with ripe lemons right now so I was inspired to make some lemon poppyseed muffins.
My version is slightly sweet which makes them perfect for breakfast. If you prefer a sweeter muffin, just use sweetened yogurt. These would also be delicious with a glaze 😋.
🍋 Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
– 1 Tbsp (7g) flax meal
– 2 1/2 Tbsp (38ml) water
– 1 1/2 cups (160g) oat flour (blend oats to make flour)
– 1 Tbsp (8g) poppyseeds bobsredmill
– 1 1/2 tsp (8g) baking powder
– 1/8 tsp (1g) salt
– 1/2 cup (125g) nondairy yogurt (I used unsweetened plain foragerproject)
– 1/4 cup (60g) nut butter (I used lastofoods almond/gifted)
– 1/4 cup (60ml) maple syrup
– 1/4 cup (60ml) nondairy milk
– Juice and zest of 1 lemon, about 1 Tbsp zest and 2 Tbsp (30ml) juice
– 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract
– 1/4 tsp (1ml) almond extract
1. Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Grease or line 6 muffin cups.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together flax meal and water. Set aside to thicken.
3. In a medium bowl, stir together oat flour, poppyseeds, baking powder, and salt.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, nut butter, maple syrup, nondairy milk, lemon juice & zest, and vanilla & almond extracts. Stir in the flax egg.
5. Add the dry ingredients into the wet, and stir to combine.
6. Place 1/3 cup of batter into each of the 8 prepared muffin cup.
7. Bake 17-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
8. Let cool the muffins cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before storage.
9. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days, or the freezer for longer storage.